All psychologists should be able to use evidence based therapies – not just Focused Psychological Strategies. Reform APS has been asked to explain in more detail its key policies to clarify any misunderstanding that supporters may have. However, this is the beginning of the discussion and we welcome your comments.
The One Tier system
Many people speak of a one tier system but there are actually three interpretations of this. RAPS supports the first interpretation :
- All psychologists on a single tier at a new rebate that the government will decide
- All psychologists on a single tier at the existing lower rebate
- All psychologists on a single tier at the existing higher rebate
We believe the single tier/new rebate policy is the most effective in protecting our profession and preserving our Society!
Reform APS would support a single tier for all Colleges (endorsements), as long as a General Practising Psychologists College is established – and general psychologists get endorsed. It’s a one-in-all-in policy!
A single tier for all Colleges will ensure their survival and the diversity of clinical approaches. And all psychologists should be able to use evidence-based therapies – not just clinical psychologists.
The higher rebate for the Clinical College is attracting students for the wrong reasons (i.e. money) and alternative psychological training is being seriously threatened and recklessly abandoned by universities.
We do not support a single College of Clinical Psychologists, in which the rich tradition of diverse psychological approaches are discarded or subsumed under the biomedical model.
The College for General Practising Psychologists.
- A General Psychologist College would reflect the broad focus of its members, while other colleges take a more specific narrow view.
- All general psychologists registered who have 10 years experience (incl. CPD) to be grandfathered into the Gen Psy College.
- APS to advocate to AHPRA for endorsement for all Gen Psy College members
Bridging pathways to Colleges
- Bridging pathways between all Colleges should be available in a situation where no one College gets a higher rebate.
Please send us your feedback on any of the above at: firstname.lastname@example.org